I've been thinking about new computer lately.
after some thinking I've made up my mind, that it won't really benefit me.
But since I already did some deeper research I wanted to share my gained knowledge.
hardware and my thoughts on it
Core I9-10850K, Socket LS1200
- amd or intel
well I prefer intel, but lets consider plain workpower
I9 10900k vs ryzen
>> see the benchmarks yourself
- Why not I9-10900K?
I9-10850K or I9-10900K ..
seems the 10850k has almost the same performance (-1%)
with even a little less power consumption
both are fine... whatever you get.. price is almost the same
>> see benchmarks or here
- so there is a I9 10850K avenger edition, whats that?
just a fancy special edition.. a true fan might want to buy it
- box or retail? whats the difference?
box has a cpu with fan, retail is the plain cpu
- intel I9 LS1200 vs LS2000
i9x price of cpu 1000-4000 EUR, which is ridiculous
why? well more than 10 cpu cores, which give you higher compute power
- Socket 1200 for pentium I7, I9,...
- cooling? water? air?
water cooled is definitly more silent and looks awesome
price is higher too
air cooled is established, works fine. needs less space. just get a big silent fan
- I have a this one on my I7, its silent and works great
- necessary conntector/socket, for cpu cooler?
look for "1200" in compatibility describtion
ASUS PRIME Z490-A
-A not -P, there is a difference in performance
alternatives: MSI MEG Z490 ACE, Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
- Clockspeed, as higher as better!
is it? well not exactly, there is no real better performance between 3000 and 4400
so 3000 is fine
be quiet! 600, 601, 700 or Nanoxia Deep Silence 3
- size: midi
compare height of your current
- noise & cooling?
benchmark of noise and heat
- does it look good TO ME? thats subjective
- does this matter? well.. in the beginning for myself. but it's always nice to show what fancy hardware you have to someone else
- is it worth additional price?
600 vs 700: 700 has a usbc and looks better for +50/+100 EUR, which is 50-100% more
- how many disks do I want to be built in?
- side glas or no glas?
well I don't want to show off, so a optimized silenced sidewall is good for me
650 Watt be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 Platinum 80+
last checked at 02.02.2021
~ 1000 €
no graphics card included
where I check for cheapest prices
shops where I usually buy
if its that awesome - why did I not buy it?
As mentioned in the beginning.. it would not benefit me that much.
My system is a HP z620 and has
- 2x Intel Xeon E508 (8 cores 16 threads, => 2x so 16 cores 32 threads)
- 96 GB DDR3 Memory
- 1 GB SSD on PCIe-X (3000 mb write, 2400 mb read)
- a few 8 TB HDDs for storage
- 10 G ethernet
so.. the only real downsides for me are
- power consumption: 800 W instead of 600 W
- no USB 3.2/3.1
- newer Intel specific CPU commands
I hope it helps you a bit finding your pc setup